Safety Tips For Happy and Safe Holidays
Protect San Jose wants to share some quick tips and important phone numbers to help keep your family safe during this holiday season. You can print these tips and phone numbers and keep by your phone or put on your fridge in case you need them. Please share these tips with your family and friends.
- Lock your doors and windows when you leave your home or apartment, even for a few minutes.
- Don’t make your car a gift box for thieves. This is true all year round, but particularly during the holidays. Keep your gifts, GPS, purse and other valuable items out of sight. Your trunk is the best place to temporarily store items.
- Don’t advertise when you are away from home. Burglars look for occupancy clues like outdoor lights burning 24-hours a day, newspapers piling up in the driveway, advertisements hanging from doorknobs.
- Use inexpensive light timers when away and ask a trusted neighbor to pick up mail and newspapers. Turn on a radio so your home appears occupied.
- Be aware of your surroundings. Late night shopping and trips to the ATM alone can make you more vulnerable to an opportunistic criminal.
- Shop with a friend, during the day if possible, and park in a well lighted location. Have your keys out when approaching your car and be aware of your surroundings.
- If your ordering gifts on-line have them delivered to your work if you will not be home, or leave instructions to have packages put over your back gate if you have one. Do not have them dropped on your front porch.
- Don’t leave descriptive telephone answering machine messages like “You’ve reached the Wilson’s…we’re away skiing for the holidays…please leave a message.” Burglars love to hear you are not home.
- Don’t pile up empty gift boxes from your new computer, television, stereo, or DVD player for recycling on garbage day. Break down the boxes or cut them up, burglars love to see expensive gifts inside for them to steal.
- Don’t drink and drive, have some spiked Eggnog and a designated driver.
|SAN JOSE EMERGENCY PHONE NUMBERS|
|SJ EMERGENCY CELL PHONE (SAVE TO YOUR CELL!)||(408) 277-8911|
|SJ NON-EMERGENCY CELL PHONE (SAVE TO YOUR CELL!)|
If you smell natural gas, see downed power lines, or suspect another emergency situation, leave the area immediately and then call 9-1-1 and PG&E at 1-800-743-5000.
|CLICK TO DOWNLOAD a printer friendly copy of this article||129.76 KB|