Recent comments

• Re: How Do We Stop the SJPD Exodus?

Posted: 3 years 51 weeks ago

I agree with all of you. What we need to do is get this information out to the public. Link this to your Facebook send It around to all your contacts on your email list & ask them to share w/ others. Share your views w/ the community, tell them what they were not told during the elections.

• Re: How Do We Stop the SJPD Exodus?

Posted: 3 years 51 weeks ago

Get rit of the current management as they have failed. In oakland, even the mayor's exclusive neighborhood has to pay private security for protection.
    Keep the faith brothers and sisters. Jim Horne Retired OPD

• Re: How Do We Stop the SJPD Exodus?

Posted: 3 years 51 weeks ago

Come to Lake County, I bet we have got you beat where corrupt is concerned! It's happening all over! Never stop questioning why!

• Re: How Do We Stop the SJPD Exodus?

Posted: 3 years 51 weeks ago

I Feel Bad For The Folks Still (Doing It ). My PD Was The Best In The World And The City Council Has Trashed It. I Loved My Job And Was Proud To Be A Member Of The Best, I Still Am. When I Was Forced To Retire In 2001, It Was Still A Great Place To Work And Still Drawing Youngsters. The Youngsters Are Still Hitting The Bricks Every Day While The City Council Is Attending "Constituent Outreaches" Aka "Hospitality Rooms" At The Citizens Expense And At Dangerously Low Staffing Levels Throughout The Police Complex. Experience Is Leaving To Keep Their Families Safe. I Realize This A Policy For City Government, But Do It At Your Own Expense, I Did. I Came On In 1972 With A Promise Of Good Bennies And A Good Retirement Package Upon Completing My Career. It Should Be The Same For Everyone Else At The PD And The City. I Am A Member Of The POA. I Think The Citizens Of San Jose Should Raise Up To This Crap And Let The City Council Know That They Are Pissed. Warmest Regards.

• Re: How Do We Stop the SJPD Exodus?

Posted: 3 years 51 weeks ago

Damian I couldn't agree with you more, it's sad to see the experienced officers and dispatchers leave the once great department we had. As I reflect back on my brief 28 plus years I spent working for SJPD, I would like to commend the remaining men and women still trying their best to serve to city they swore to protect as they have it much harder now than us retirees that remember the battles for our security in the 70's the staffing shortages of the 80's the industry boom of the silicon valley of the 90's when the city taxed the businesses out of the valley, which now takes away their tax base which affects the citizens we swore to serve, which would have provided a fair rate of compensation for the employees of San Jose. So when these citizens that voted for Measure B, that drank the kool-aid the mayor and some city council members fed them, you have to ask these citizens, "tell me about your worst day at work", let me see, your printer ran out of ink, your students didn't pass their test, the library didn't have the book you wanted, your city bus ran out of gas, so on and so, now tell them about your worst day at work. I know I could come up with some of mine, but I won't reflect on them here. As for me, I commend those that remain, but I will admit I'm done with California, it's time to leave. The damage the mayor has done will be his legacy long after he's gone and it will be at the citizens expense.

• Re: How Do We Stop the SJPD Exodus?

Posted: 3 years 51 weeks ago

The mayors number 1 priority is building a ball park at watever the cost to the citizens of this city. He cares very little about public safety. Actions speak louder than words mr mayor.

• Re: How Do We Stop the SJPD Exodus?

Posted: 3 years 51 weeks ago

Excellent article and it clearly explains the reason behind all of the recent crime/robberies in our area. We pay a lot in tax dollars to live here and we love our neighborhood; in an effort to speak out - what's the next step - how can we plain old (tax paying) citizens in the community get our opinions heard? (Because I feel pretty helpless).

• Re: How Do We Stop the SJPD Exodus?

Posted: 3 years 51 weeks ago

I left in 2010. I wanted to stay til 2015. But I could not afford the cuts to pay. I have been in city government for over 30 years and this is most corrupt city government I have ever seen.

• Re: How Do We Stop the SJPD Exodus?

Posted: 3 years 51 weeks ago

Congrats Natalie I remember working with you. Glad you have hung in there all these years. It is so sad that our entire SJPD (all ranks), Communications, Call Takers, P.D.S.'s, etc. have had to suffer. It was the greatest place to work.

• Re: How Do We Stop the SJPD Exodus?

Posted: 3 years 51 weeks ago

We are in the same boat. When I started in 1988 there were well over 120 PRC (Police Recrods Clerks), as we were known back then.

We are now down to 50 or so. We are losing people as fast as we hire them, and for the same reasons you cited in your article.

Please try to remember PDSs (Police Data Specialists) as we are now known, in your articles, along with Dispatchers and Call-takers. We provide a valuable service to the City of San Jose and those services have been cut back enormously due to low staffing and budget cuts.

Thanks