Recent comments

• Re: Mayor Reed Wins Arbitration--SJ Cops Get No Pay Raise

Posted: 4 years 14 weeks ago

As a union member and resident of San Jose, I'm sorry to see how this decision to not compensate our public servants fairly has compromised our entire community. There isn't many jobs that will put you in danger just by putting on the uniform that these fine men and woman wear. It is disturbing that when I moved to San Jose 13 years ago, we were ranked the number one safest big city in America and as we cut benefits and fair wages, crime goes up and safety ratings go down. It's a pretty simple formula. You get what you pay for.
    Sadly, this is a trend all around our country and citizens are getting sucked into this (serve me but don't tax me) attitude. Wisconsin is a great example. Do we want to go the way of Wisconsin? I sure the heck don't. That's why I moved west in the first place. Progressive thinking don't come free. Wake up citizens.
    I just needed to vent. Blessings be with all our brave police men and woman weather you stay or go. Thank you for your service.

• Re: Mayor Reed Wins Arbitration--SJ Cops Get No Pay Raise

Posted: 4 years 15 weeks ago

Every Detective, Special Ops, FTO and Motor cop should leave their current assignment. Go back to Patrol and when they need those specialized officers, who will the City have to investigate the crime?

If every FTO and Homicide Detective left their current assignment, the City Council will realize the grave mistake they made when they declared war on SJPD.

Stay safe my brothers in blue.

• Re: Mayor Reed Wins Arbitration--SJ Cops Get No Pay Raise

Posted: 4 years 15 weeks ago

How can reed pay for the A's to move here if he pays the police, it was said he lost 100 million and so sued NBA. Really that is more important then protecting the City. His (Reed) priorities are all messed up, thank God he cannot run for reelection, but he could try for county so citizens beware.

• Re: Mayor Reed Wins Arbitration--SJ Cops Get No Pay Raise

Posted: 4 years 15 weeks ago

Hello,
    I remember when we used to have nearly 1,400 SJPD officers. Now after reading the article about Mayor Reed winning the Arbitration - SJ Cops Get No Pay Raise. In the article from www.protectsanjose.com it mentioned and I quote "Today, there are 887 street ready officers in SJPD, 392 of which are assigned to and working patrol. This has increased emergency response times to over 20-minutes for Priority 2 calls and requires the department to scramble every single day to fill patrol beats using a mix of pay cars, hold-overs, and mandatory overtime."
    So is this correct that we only have 887 officers left on the force? Also does the community know the risk this poses for a city of almost 1 million people.
    So we have 1 officer for about every 1,100 residents in the city? Wow I think Mayor Reed should be taken out of office and replaced because losing officers is not a good way to keep the public safe with a city our size.
    What can be done to enlist more officers? Also we need to keep our veteran officers who are highly skilled and trained. Some of the SJPD officer skills only come after working with the department for many years so if we lose them we will only have rookie officers. :-( Hopefully something can be done.

Thanks,
    Concerned San Jose Resident

• Re: Mayor Reed Wins Arbitration--SJ Cops Get No Pay Raise

Posted: 4 years 15 weeks ago

Good luck to Officer Juan Vallejo and others that will leave the City of San Jose for better opportunities. The day Mayor Reed finally leaves office, will be one happy day for the citizens of San Jose...and it can not come fast enough! This man has destroyed our once great city and PD. I find his tactics and politics sickening. What a shame that I no longer have a desire to retire in the city I grew up in.

• Re: 42% of Vacation Requests Denied for Overworked SJ Officers

Posted: 4 years 16 weeks ago

Thank you for this story. I am well aware that SJPD police officers are overworked due to understaffing. However, I had no idea that it has come down to this level. On Thursday, June 27, we had a neighborhood meeting. Many police officers including Captain Honda were in attendance. As a community member, I couldn't help but be frustrated with some of the responds from some of the officers. Clearly, SJPD can no longer properly, dutifully, and adequately provide service to the communities that it is serving. Do I blame SJPD? A big resounding NO. Like everyone else, SJPD's hands got its hands tied behind its back. Clearly folks at city hall are once again failing to protect the people that they are supposed to serve. Again thank you. Fatima D.

• Re: 42% of Vacation Requests Denied for Overworked SJ Officers

Posted: 4 years 16 weeks ago

Vacation time is crucial. Without it, it leads to burnt out officers who end up leaving which is one of the departments biggest problems. This amongst many other reasons is why myself and others dropped out of the hiring process with SJPD.

• Re: 42% of Vacation Requests Denied for Overworked SJ Officers

Posted: 4 years 16 weeks ago

I really worry about our Officer's safety and well being. Working these kinds of hours without down time is dangerous. You are already understaffed and out numbered.

You are in my thoughts and prayers everyday.

Please be safe out there, and thank you for your service.

• Re: The "9%" Lie

Posted: 4 years 17 weeks ago

Thank you for sharing this. I'm a Santa Clara County employee and a member of SEIU 521. We are negotiating our contract right now, and no surprise, there is a front page article in today's Mercury misrepresenting how our pensions are funded. Outrageous... This makes me think that the corruption goes beyond Chuck Reed's brother in law... Its the 1% trying to pit the private sector 99% against the public sector 99%... Divide and conquer, pure and simple.

• Re: The "9%" Lie

Posted: 4 years 17 weeks ago

Considering Mayor Reeds brother in law works for the Mercury News but resides in an officer at the City Council this is no surprise... Shameful but not surprising...