Recent comments

• Re: Understanding the Problem

Posted: 9 years 48 weeks ago

Now get the Mayor and Council to read this. Maybe they'll stop helping these thugs.

• Re: With A Little Help From My Friends

Posted: 9 years 48 weeks ago
    ...

Kathleen,
    The Murkey News doesn't care about racism, minorities, or discrimination of these thugs and criminals. I think the reason the Murkey News is asking for open Police records is because it costs a lot of money to get public information requests filled by the city. It also costs a lot of money to sue the city to get information they want so what better way to get what they want, get these community groups riled up and screaming racism? Their paper is dying and losing money so what better way to cut your loses than pressuring these chiken crap Council Members and the Mayor into giving it to you for free?

On top of that, I wonder how much money Raj and his buddies are costing taxpayers with fee waivers on public information requests? I wonder how much grant money the city hands out to non-profits like Richard Konda, executive director of the Asian Law AllianceDe Bug, La RazaLa Raza Lawyers, San Jose Peace and Justice Center, Services Immigrant Rights and Education Network and the San Jose/Silicon Valley Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People? And how many companies that donate to these groups know they are using theirdonations to oust the Police Chief and bash the cops?

• Re: It's Never the Barking Dog

Posted: 9 years 48 weeks ago

• Re: With A Little Help From My Friends

Posted: 9 years 48 weeks ago

It seems to me that gangs are being more arrogant and bold in their crimes. Do you think the increase in gang activity is in any way connected with the anti-police sentiment, and pro-offender stories by the Mercury News are creating in our community?

• Re: It's Never the Barking Dog

Posted: 9 years 48 weeks ago

The Merc just posted an Editorial by Richard Konda and Jethroe Moore II. They are demanding Chief Davis' resignation. They say in their editorial that San Jose needs to “appoint a new chief who can be a part of this healthier vision of San Jose that is built on trust, communication and transparency.” Let me see if I understand. You mean trust, as in our Police Officers work hard each day to defend citizens of this City, fight crime, apprehend criminals, and get attacked by so called “civil rights activists” who tear them down at every turn without offering up any solutions? Communication, as in community members come to the SJPD with dark, poorly lit videos that, at best show a hazy version of what happened, call it evidence of police brutality, and based on that, demand sweeping policy changes for the SJPD without knowing all the ways it will affect our department? Transparency, as in, police reports will be completely open to the public, not only handicapping the Department’s ability to apprehend criminals, but also giving criminals the ability to hassle victims and witnesses? If that is the vision they offer San Jose, then no thanks.

When are they going to be part of the solution and start looking at their community’s part in the problem? When are they going to stop defending criminals at the expense of victims of violent crime? Those are the questions I want to see answered.

• Re: It's Never the Barking Dog

Posted: 9 years 48 weeks ago

Kathleen’s statement “We must take into account the problems of cultural differences and how immigrants perceive the police in their country of origin,…” is richer in truth than she may realize.

I have some good friends who grew up in Lebanon during the Civil War there. When the Rodney King clip was being repeatedly played on TV about every 5 minutes, followed by the politically obligatory outrage from the pundits, my two friends would watch it then just look at each other, shake their heads and snicker. I ignored this at first but finally my curiosity got the better of me and I asked them what it was that they found so entertaining. They asked me if Rodney King had fled from the police. I told them that it was my understanding that he had. They then asked if once Rodney was stopped, if he had fought with the police. I answered that he had apparently done so. Again, they smiled at each other then smiled and snickered at me. They asked me if Rodney was now suing and looking at probably getting a million dollars. I told them that I believed that was a likely possibility. I asked them why they thought that was so amusing. The older of the two then said, “America is truly the land of opportunity”. I was starting to get irritated and asked him to explain that remark. He told me that back in Lebanon, if a person fled from the police, the police would machine-gun that person’s car. If the person wasn’t killed outright, and instead got out and tried to fight, then, depending on their political or religious affiliation, they would either be executed on the spot or beaten and left for dead or just simply disappear and no one would ever know what happened to them. My friend told me that only in America could a person become a millionaire through such behavior and that people in the U.S. should give thanks everyday for the cops and the system the U.S. has here.

A very good friend of mine once attended a training course on police Internal Affairs investigations. There were cops there from all over the U.S. At the beginning of the class, the instructor went around the room, had people introduce themselves and describe the types of problems most prevalent in their respective jurisdictions. Some of the big city types spoke of cops taking bribes, or shaking down dope dealers and keeping the money and drugs, or just going around beating the hell out of people that the cop suspected of criminal activity or who had just “wised off”. When it came my friend’s turn, all he had to offer was complaints regarding a few cops putting an extra hour of unearned overtime on their time sheet or leaving work early to work a side job or not turning in reports at the end of shift. He said he got a “crowd laugh” and they thought he was joking. He told me that for the first time in his life, he was embarrassed to be a San Jose police officer.

Although there’s occasionally some oddball who does something stupid, it happens less often in law enforcement, especially at SJPD, than it does in most other professions and police agencies (didn’t F. Lee Bailey get disbarred for “mishandling” a client’s money”; and news reporter Jason Blair get fired for fabricating or plagiarizing new items?) and far less than in the general population. It happens so infrequently in SJPD that it makes news. My friend was embarrassed that had no significant corruption to share with his peers at the training class, his peers who had really “juicy” big city problems. So when SJPD officers taser a suspect to overcome his violent resistance or have to use deadly force against someone who comes at them with a deadly weapon, IT’S NEWS! Pity these poor reporters; they have nothing better to report!

• Re: It's Never the Barking Dog

Posted: 9 years 48 weeks ago

Well Kathleen you were right. Here we go again:

• Re: It's Never the Barking Dog

Posted: 9 years 48 weeks ago

You make a very good point about exploring and understanding cultures and drinking. I have a lot of Hispanic friends who tell me all the time that Americans/whites need to learn to enjoy and celebrate more like them. I was very surprised to hear that comment! One of my friends said that we Americans are too quite in celebrating Thanksgiving and Christmas. He said we need to learn how to crank up the music and party. It was the first time I actually realized a cultural difference between us because we are both mediators, educated, and while fun loving at times, pretty conservative.
    I have one friend who migrated from Mexico tell me that drinking and driving isn’t against the law there, nor are a lot of other things like beating your wife, girl friend, or mother!

I have a lot of Vietnamese friends who tell me that in Vietnam Communism is so bad they flock here. But they admit, that that is also why they fear the Police here in the US. They also have a very different take on how to deal with mental illness, family conflict, and how they treat females verses males in their society.

I think looking at different cultures and their perspective on the Police, drug/alcohol use, along with how and why certain cultures won’t assimilate to our customs and laws, holds the key to much of what is happening in our city today that needs to be addressed.

• Re: It's Never the Barking Dog

Posted: 9 years 48 weeks ago

Thank you Kathleen and Ed for adding something truly meaningful to the conversations on these issues (public drunkenness arrests, use of force, etc.). There is a great deal of worthwhile information and meaningful studies conducted on these issues. One of the most interesting I've found in my own research is a survey of studies on alcohol abuse within the Hispanic immigrant community which was published by the Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences which examines alcohol use and abuse within the Hispanic Immigrant Community (http://hjb.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/29/4/413). Being half-Mexican myself, this study provided a meaningful context for understanding the drinking behaviors exhibited by my grandfather which I observed as a child. It also provided a context for me to more fully understand my interactions with other Hispanics in my role as a police officer. I strongly encourage anyone who is interested to read the study. However, be warned that the observations and conclusions could be very uncomfortable; they were for me. On the other hand, maybe it could also provide a meaningful context for developing meaningful solutions to these issues - ones which don't arrive out of the demonization of one particular group of people.

• Re: It's Never the Barking Dog

Posted: 9 years 48 weeks ago
    ...

How about flooding the editorial department with copies of your well written, factual articles to publish alongside the shallow mis-stated ones that they print? If they blow you off or outright dont print them, there should be a community effort to start a non-profit to purchase advertising space within the pages to print the materital. If that doesnt work, just keep posting the blogs here to their website and flood their message boards. Let's watch as they take the material down on a daily basis, then sue them for violations of the first amendment and call them on their own ethics violations!! I'm sure there's plenty of attorneys out there that are still Americans and would do the work pro bono!

They'd do the same to the SJPD, the city, or any other groups that challenge them. Might as well play them at their own game and expose them for what they truly are!